1–28. Multiple Choice Questions
Select the best answer for each of the following items and give reasons for your choice.
a. Which of the following best describes the relationship between assurance services and
(1) While attest services involve fi nancial data, assurance services involve nonfi nancial data.
(2) While attest services require objectivity, assurance services do not require objectivity.
(3) Both attest and assurance services require independence.
(4) Attest and assurance services are different terms referring to the same types of services.
b. Which of the following has primary responsibility for the fairness of the representations
made in fi nancial statements?
(1) Client’s management.
(2) Independent auditor.
(3) Audit committee.
c. The most important benefi t of having an annual audit by a public accounting fi rm is to:
(1) Provide assurance to investors and other outsiders that the fi nancial statements are reliable.
(2) Enable offi cers and directors to avoid personal responsibility for any misstatements in
the fi nancial statements.
(3) Meet the requirements of government agencies.
(4) Provide assurance that illegal acts, if any exist, will be brought to light.
d. The Sarbanes-Oxley Act created the Public Company Accounting Oversight Board
(PCAOB). Which of the following is not one of the responsibilities of that board?
(1) Establish independence standards for auditors of public companies.
(2) Review fi nancial reports fi led with the SEC.
(3) Establish auditing standards for audits of public companies.
(4) Sanction registered audit fi rms.
e. Which of these organizations has the responsibility to perform inspections of auditors of
(1) American Institute of Certifi ed Public Accountants.
(2) Securities and Exchange Commission.
(3) Financial Accounting Standards Board.
(4) Public Company Accounting Oversight Board.
f. Governmental auditing, in addition to including audits of fi nancial statements, often
includes audits of effi ciency, effectiveness, and:
g. In general, internal auditors’ independence will be greatest when they report directly to the:
(1) Financial vice president.
(2) Corporate controller.
(3) Audit committee of the board of directors.
(4) Chief executive offi cer.
h. Which of the following did not precipitate the passage of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002
to regulate public accounting fi rms:
(1) Disclosures related to accounting irregularities at Enron and WorldCom.
(2) Restatements of fi nancial statements by a number of public companies.
(3) Conviction of the accounting fi rm of Arthur Andersen LLP.
(4) Ethical scandals at the AICPA.
i. Which of the following organizations establishes accounting standards for U.S. government
(1) The Financial Accounting Standards Board.
(2) The Governmental Accounting Standards Board.
(3) The Federal Accounting Standards Advisory Board.
(4) The Public Company Accounting Oversight Board.
j. Which of the following is correct about forensic audits?
(1) All audit engagements are forensic in nature.
(2) Forensic audits are performed by law fi rms; they are not performed by CPA fi rms.
(3) Forensic audits are equivalent to compliance audits.
(4) Forensic audits are usually performed in situations in which fraud has been found or is
k. What best describes the purpose of the auditors’ consideration of internal control in a
fi nancial statement audit for a nonpublic company?
(1) To determine the nature, timing, and extent of audit testing.
(2) To make recommendations to the client regarding improvements in internal control.
(3) To train new auditors on accounting and control systems.
(4) To identify opportunities for fraud within the client’s operations.
l. Which of the following is an example of a compliance audit?
(1) An audit of fi nancial statements.
(2) An audit of a company’s policies and procedures for adhering to environmental laws
(3) An audit of a company’s internal control over fi nancial reporting.
(4) An audit of the effi ciency and effectiveness of a company’s legal department.